Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, my family and those whom God loves:
This is a favorite…
☺ 1 1/2 cups minced sweet yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
☺ 1 green bell pepper
☺ 6 garlic cloves
☺ 1 jalapeño pepper
☺ 2 tablespoons salted butter (substitute additional olive oil for vegan)
☺ 1 tablespoon olive oil
☺ 2 15-ounce cans black beans (or 3 cups cooked black beans)
☺ 1 teaspoon cumin
☺ 2 teaspoons oregano
☺ 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
We like to eat this with rice and cooked carrots and broccoli.
1. Start the rice, according to the package instructions….Prepare broccoli and carrots to cook.
2. Mince the onion and mince the pepper (chop them into a small dice). Mince the garlic.
3. Remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapeño pepper and mince it.
4. Use a strainer to drain the black beans over a glass measuring cup, reserving the can liquid. (No need to rinse.)
5. In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Once melted, add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent and lightly browned. Add the beans, cumin, oregano, and kosher salt and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup of the liquid from the black beans. Simmer 15 minutes until beans are tender.
6. Microwave/cook broccoli and carrots.
This is not an original, but slightly adapted from “A Couple Cooks.”
Grace be with you,